Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Things To Do...



You all know I celebrated my 38th birthday last week!!! YAY Birthday!! I've been doing a lot of thinking about things I want to do this year...my 38th year on this amazing planet. I've decided I'd make a list of at least 10 random things to accomplish this year. I've also decided to lower my expectations to things I would actually be able to do! I'm usually such a grand, big thinker...but not this year...this year I'm thinking small.

1. Learn to knit/crochet...I've been wanting to for a long time, this year is my year!

2. Run a 5k...notice I didn't say marathon...see small...I hate running but I do it to stay in shape...I want to run a small 5k because that will be like a marathon to me!

3. Take a boxing class ....yeah, I want to learn how to throw a punch...my students think I'm crazy and to old but they said they would come watch me if I ever had a match...I'm really just trying to make them fear me. :)

4. Look into adoption...My biological clock started ticking when I hit 34 and well, it hasn't stopped yet. But the problem is I'm single and I'm also running out of time. So, I've been thinking about what my options are and at this point in my life adopting might be the best route for me. I could just imagine as a teacher the talk if
I decided to visit a sperm bank or a drunken sailor on leave (hehehe) and became an unwed mother. Oh the immorality!

5. Go on another fun vintage inspired good trip.... I'm really wanting to go to Niagara Falls and stop at the tiki Ho Jo's in Lake George New York!

6. Drink more water every day....you might think that's an easy one but I'm a teacher! I can't just go to the bathroom when ever I want! I'm gonna have to some how figure out when I can go pee more then once during my day.

7. Tile my gosh darn kitchen backsplash! ...I really need to get my ass in gear on this one...SLACKER I am.

8. Learn to bake bread the old fashioned way....after that maybe I'll move on to my own pasta....there I am being a big thinker again.

9. Start dating again....sometime this year I will get back out there..but right now I'm gonna stay on the sofa for a while longer. I'm just not ready yet...I'm to afraid to be hurt again yet. I'll just stay on my sofa behind my brick wall for a little while longer, thanks... but sometime this year, I promise.

10. Remember everyday that I am lucky to be here and not to worry about the little things I can't control.

27 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your list. It is certainly doable!
    We stayed at that HoJos when I was a teen, but I totally didn't appreciate it at the time. I live 15 minutes from Niagara Falls & still get amazed everytime I visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can sympathize with a lot of the choices you are facing! Hope that you find answers to all of them- including whatever you'd like to do with adoption or help with having your own. I am a librarian so I understand the talk about teaching- but oh who cares! :)
    Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge

    ReplyDelete
  3. I work in adoption and I'm pretty sure you could manage creating a family for yourself without resorting to anonymous sperm and drunken sailors. However, I wouldn't dream of standing in your way if you enjoy those sorts of things. I'm just sayin'. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG Maevon! I just LMAO...ya know I do have a vintage 1940's ww2 sailor outfit...I just need a man to get drunk and wear it!

    Lemondrop..I guess I shouldn't feel to concerned with the single pregnant teacher idea as most of my student have a parent doing the same thing!

    Leah...I'm so jealous that you live 15min from the falls! Lucky gal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are really great goals. I think it's a smart idea to set aside things you want to get done. Adoption is wonderful, there are so many children out there that need loving families and obviously you would be the coolest mom ever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great list! I can't wait to go to Lake George for the first time this year, perhaps we'll run into you on a Retro Roadmap roadtrip!

    You can do anything you set your mind to, and if you don't do it it's because you didn't really want to, not because you couldn't. Go MD!

    ReplyDelete
  7. MZ. Deluxe I want to take you on a date!!! On said date I can teach your how to knit! I'm working on a sweater right now!
    ANd really kill another bird with a Shane stone and roadtrip up to Massachusetts. We have a great Polyneasean resturant that hasn't been changed since the 60s. We dont have a big waterfall but we've got some good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are one inspiring gal! I am still working on looking more at the open door rather than the one that got closed- but I still need some practice! mxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great list of things to achieve! I need to do that more, I started this year writing it all down, the thing is to keep looking at it to remind yourself :o)

    Happy Birthday btw, love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Mary Deluxe,

    Definitevely men are donkeys !!! I know many of 'Marydeluxes girls", all in the same situation. It's like men in rock'n roll scene don't want grow up or have projects with a woman ???
    And, why the normal men ar so normal, when they are not boring...

    Just a question on decision number 4 : I'm almost 34 and i'm almost in the same situation. Does it works with a surfer guy instead a sailor ???? ;p

    And in late, happy birthday !!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I say move boxing up to the top of your list—I have a feeling you'll LOVE it! It's a great workout, fun...and talk about stress relief!!! It's the best! You'll feel light as a feather and ready to tackle the rest of the list in no time.

    Love your blog Miss MD! You're very inspiring!! Happy Belated B-day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. you're an inspiration! Great goals! You can do it...

    and Happy Birthday. You don't look a day over 26! xo

    Miss B.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great list! And sounds very manageable ;) Nice balance between fun stuff and good-for-you stuff. Now, I'm thinking I need to make a list like this!

    If you make your vintage-inspired trip in late June, you could check out Ohana Luau at the Lake - at the Tiki Motor Inn, Lake George. http://www.luauatthelake.com/

    Good luck with your accomplishments!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so excited for everything you want to do, such an inspiration to all of us. I hope that you end up adopting, finding a great guy and finding a healthy happy relationship with him! You are a doll!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome goals! I want to knit, make bread and drink more water too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Adoption is a great idea! There are so many kids who need a loving home. And there's no home more fabulous than yours! ;) (And I'm with you on the knitting and baking bread ideas- maybe this is the year for me as well.)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey we're both babies of 1972! Mine comes in September. Love your list! I've got one too. ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great list you have there, i think you should be able to achieve them all this year! I'm a it like you, i make lists of grand things i want to achieve but they're usually so ridiculous i end up giving up!
    Good luck with them all! xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm applaud you for not sticking with your comfort zone. Someone once told me that one's comfort zones is like one's disability. It keeps you from striving towards goals that you wish to achieve.

    Consider signing up for a course on running a 5km. I did that and I ended up running a 5km in 21 minutes by the end of the 8-week course.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Okay everybody.....Lets see your lists for the year! What are you all gonna be doing??? Keep them simple!!!

    Yes, really I'm 38!!

    MaryDeluxe

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Belated Birthday!!! I like your number 10, something I need to do more often!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I stumbled upon your blog and so far I am very intrigued. I will definitely keep checking back, if you don't mind.

    I love this list that you created of things to do this year. As for the 5k, you can do it!!! It definitely does feel like a marathon when you're not a fan of running/jogging.

    ReplyDelete
  23. My sister has her last kid at 42~~~ YOU HAVE TIME~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ and it will happen~~~

    ReplyDelete
  24. A friend of mine had one at 44, like Monica says you have time ! Great list ! and I know some of those things should be on my list, drink more water for one and for me especially eat less sweet stuff but it's so good. I hope you achieve everything xxx

    ReplyDelete